Creating a library portal was something I really wanted to do and expressed as much in my interview. It was something I thought would benefit the business as well as make things easier for us to share information.
Although, I expressed concern about how relevant it would be and whether anyone would be interested (which was mentioned in a previous post), I decided to persevere, with the encouragement of my manager.
Initially, I wanted to create an actual site that would be added onto the business site. But this would have included quite a lot of work from the IT department, in terms of coding and design. So we were forced to use the intranet site we were already using. This meant having to get a bit creative by fleshing it out a bit, making it more appealing and accessible.
I created an Excel workbook where each sheet represented a page that would be on our intranet site. This meant that I had a place where all the information was held and could be modified at any point. It also made organising the information a lot easier.
I did have a bit of trouble with IT, when asking for help on how to change/modify certain things, but they were eventually helpful in making the site look a little better. They helped create a tile layout, where each tile became a link to each page of the site. This meant that we could have nice images that represented the contents of each page.
I feel really proud of the fact that I was able to fulfill something I had intended to do from the very beginning. In addition to this, a little bit of me will forever be there, as I was the one who started this whole process.
In the future, I hope to make it a bit more aesthetically appealing and to have content that others will find interesting and useful, that will then encourage them to regularly check the site for any new information.